In January 2019, the NHS published its Long Term Plan, which sets out key priorities and ambitions for the service over the next ten years. The plan aims to make sure the NHS is fit for the future:
- giving everyone the best start in life;
- delivering world-class care for major health problems such as cancer and mental health; and
- helping people to age well.
Over the coming months, the NHS in B&NES, Swindon and Wiltshire will be working with local people and partners – including councils, the voluntary and community sector and social care – to develop a local plan for the next five years. We want to turn the national ambitions laid out in the Long Term Plan into real improvements to services and outcomes for local people, building on the progress we’ve already made together over the last few years.
How you can get involved
In March 2019, Healthwatch England is launching the ‘What would you do?’ campaign, encouraging people to have their say about the Long Term Plan and what changes they would like to see in their local community. The campaign is being supported locally by Healthwatch in B&NES, Swindon and Wiltshire. Here’s how you can share your views:
Fill in two surveys
1. What would you do to give people more control of their care? How would you help people live healthier lives and make it easier for people to take control of their own health and wellbeing? Fill in this survey online, or download a paper version.
2. What would you do to give people better support? How do you think local health services can provide better care for people with conditions such as heart and lung disease, dementia and autism? Fill in this survey online, or download a paper version.
Chat to Healthwatch
During March and April 2019, Healthwatch in B&NES, Swindon and Wiltshire will be out in the community, asking people to share their views on:
- How services could be improved for older people and;
- How GP practices can work more closely together and with other services (such as hospitals, pharmacies, mental health and social care), to improve care for patients.
We will soon be sharing a list of dates when you can go along and chat with Healthwatch in different locations across B&NES.
Help shape our local five year plan
In the early summer 2019, NHS BaNES, Swindon and Wiltshire CCGs will respond to feedback that people have shared with Healthwatch during the ‘What would you do?’ campaign. We will then be asking people to share their views on our local priorities and plans for health services. This feedback will help shape our five year plan, which we will submit to NHS England in the autumn 2019.
Stay tuned for more information and how you can get involved.