Busy at work or uni? Juggling a job and parenting? Then sign up to GP online services to conveniently book GP appointments and order repeat prescriptions from your laptop, PC or phone.
Using GP online services you’ll be able to:
- book or cancel appointments online with a GP or nurse
- order repeat prescriptions online
- view parts of your GP record, including information about medication, allergies, vaccinations, previous illnesses and test results
- view clinical correspondence such as hospital discharge summaries, outpatient appointment letters and referral letters
The service is free and available to everyone who is registered with a GP.
All GP practices within B&NES offer patients the facility to book or cancel appointments and order repeat prescriptions online, yet just 26% of patients in the local area are registered for GP online services.
The majority of practices in B&NES also offer patients the chance to view their medical history online.
Dr Ian Orpen, Clinical Chair of Bath and North East Somerset Clinical Commissioning Group, said: “Registering for GP online services is a quick and convenient way to make or cancel appointments with your GP and order repeat prescriptions. Many practices will also let patients view their medical histories online.
“Every practice in B&NES offers online services, but despite this only 26% of patients in the local area are registered online with a GP surgery. The number is growing but I hope more people take up the option of registering for online services – it’s quick and easy to do and just requires the completion of a short registration form.
“We are all leading busier lives, so I would encourage people to sign-up as soon as possible and make the most of this convenient and time-saving service.”
Follow these simple steps to access GP online services:
- Take photo ID (passport or driving licence) and proof of address (such as a utility bill) to your GP practice and tell them you want to start using their online services. If you do not have any ID then either a member of staff will have to confirm your identity or you may have to answer questions about personal information in your GP record.
- Fill in the short registration form that you are given by your practice.
- Once you have signed up, you will receive a letter with your unique username, password and instructions on how to log in.
More information can be found on the NHS Choices website – www.nhs.uk/gponlineservices